Dentistry is an interesting field and has come a long way since it was first discovered. Little did anybody know that the little bones in our mouth could have such an interesting and sometimes crazy stories.
14 Dental Facts
- The teeth aren’t bones, despite the fact that they are both hard, white, and contain calcium. Unlike bones, teeth can’t heal by their own or grow back if they are damaged.
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different.
- Replacing a toothbrush after illnesses helps to prevent the potential for a re-infection.
- If your tooth gets knocked out, put it in milk or hold it in your mouth—this will help your tooth to survive longer. Make sure you see a dentist right away.
- Dental records have been used to identify victims at crime scenes. No two people will have the same set of teeth Your teeth are as unique as your fingerprint, so be proud.
- An average woman smiles 62 times a day while an average man smiles about 8 times a day.
- Flossing once a day can extend your life expectancy by 6 years.
- Tooth decay is the most common disease in children. It is 5 times more common than asthma.
- Mountain Dew Teeth or the Appalachian Teeth are the names given to the rotten brown teeth of people in the Appalachian region of the USA. Mountain Dew is their official drink. They even replace water with mountain dew most of the times. It is this constant sipping of this beverage that has caused this dental crisis in that region.
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning about 35% of the surface of your teeth.
- Brushing teeth right after eating is not suggested. Right after eating, a high concentration of acid is present in the saliva. Brushing actually leads to abrasions and brushing right after eating will means acids along with abrasions leads to the faster wearing of teeth enamel.
- In medieval times, most people thought dental cavities were made by tiny tooth worms. These little worms were thought to bore holes in the teeth and then hide, out of sight, beneath the surface. It was believed to cause the pain of toothaches. Today, of course, science has told us the truth about cavities, namely that they are really tooth decay caused by an enamel-eroding bacterium in the plaque that builds up around the teeth. When we eat sugary or starchy foods, the bacteria feed on the remnants left on our teeth, while simultaneously creating an acid that eats away at the enamel.
- There is enough fluoride in a tube of toothpaste to kill a small child. Make sure you tell your child to spit out their paste after brushing.
- An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but it also makes you 3 times more likely to develop dental decay.
Your teeth are incredible, so make sure you brush, floss, and visit your dentist at Dr. Madhvi’s Dental Clinic, so they will be with you for your whole life! We can be reached at (+91) 9810554230. Give us a call today to know more about the dental veneers, dental bridges, smile makeovers, dental implant cost, etc.!